I'm a PostgreSQL admin/developer, sysadmin, multi-language programmer (lately mostly Java and Java EE, previously C, C++, Python and good old bash) and general IT JOAT.
I'll work in most programming languages with varying degrees of competence, though I'll only reluctantly touch PHP or Perl code. I'm more interested in the libraries, tools, and the code that's built on top of the language.
Most of my scrap code lives on https://github.com/ringerc . Most of my open source code is in the form of scattered patches across too many different bugzillas and JIRAs, rather than single new projects. I contribute patches to PostgreSQL and work on BDR.
Most of my contribution is now non-code, in the form of:
- Detailed bug reporting with test cases
- User support for PostgreSQL on mailing lists and here on SE
- PostgreSQL patch review and beta testing
- Usability review
- Writing, editing and enhancing documentation, HOWTOs, etc
- Blogging in detail on topics likely to be useful to others.
I've turned into a git fiend and no longer understand why anybody uses anything else. I'm also becoming increasingly obsessive about testing, particularly with the advent of Jenkins CI and related tools.
Western Australia, Australia
Member for 8 years, 4 months
7 profile views
Last seen Aug 15 '14 at 1:23
- Stack Overflow 239.1k 239.1k 5252 gold badges532532 silver badges636636 bronze badges
- Database Administrators 46.2k 46.2k 33 gold badges112112 silver badges153153 bronze badges
- Server Fault 9.1k 9.1k 88 gold badges3030 silver badges5454 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 4k 4k 11 gold badge1919 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- Super User 2.8k 2.8k 11 gold badge1313 silver badges1616 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 484 How to speed up insertion performance in PostgreSQL
- 444 Generating a UUID in Postgres for Insert statement?
- 405 How to UPSERT (MERGE, INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE UPDATE) in PostgreSQL?
- 285 Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing
- 270 How to UPSERT (MERGE, INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE UPDATE) in PostgreSQL?
- 269 How to round an average to 2 decimal places in PostgreSQL?
- 266 Change type of varchar field to integer: "cannot be cast automatically to type integer"
- View more network posts →