I'm a PostgreSQL admin/developer, sysadmin, multi-language programmer (lately mostly Java and Java EE, previously C, C++, Python and good old bash) and general IT JOAT.
I'll work in most programming languages with varying degrees of competence, though I'll only reluctantly touch PHP or Perl code. I'm more interested in the libraries, tools, and the code that's built on top of the language.
Most of my scrap code lives on https://github.com/ringerc . Most of my open source code is in the form of scattered patches across too many different bugzillas and JIRAs, rather than single new projects. I contribute patches to PostgreSQL and work on BDR.
Most of my contribution is now non-code, in the form of:
- Detailed bug reporting with test cases
- User support for PostgreSQL on mailing lists and here on SE
- PostgreSQL patch review and beta testing
- Usability review
- Writing, editing and enhancing documentation, HOWTOs, etc
- Blogging in detail on topics likely to be useful to others.
I've turned into a git fiend and no longer understand why anybody uses anything else. I'm also becoming increasingly obsessive about testing, particularly with the advent of Jenkins CI and related tools.
Western Australia, Australia
Member for 9 years, 4 months
7 profile views
Last seen Aug 15 '14 at 1:23
- Stack Overflow 263.1k 263.1k 5656 gold badges592592 silver badges688688 bronze badges
- Database Administrators 49.5k 49.5k 33 gold badges128128 silver badges165165 bronze badges
- Server Fault 9.8k 9.8k 88 gold badges3333 silver badges5757 bronze badges
- Ask Ubuntu 4.5k 4.5k 11 gold badge2020 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- Super User 3k 3k 11 gold badge1414 silver badges1717 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 532 Generating a UUID in Postgres for Insert statement?
- 520 How to speed up insertion performance in PostgreSQL
- 446 How to UPSERT (MERGE, INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE UPDATE) in PostgreSQL?
- 332 How to round an average to 2 decimal places in PostgreSQL?
- 314 How to UPSERT (MERGE, INSERT ... ON DUPLICATE UPDATE) in PostgreSQL?
- 300 Optimise PostgreSQL for fast testing
- 296 Change type of varchar field to integer: "cannot be cast automatically to type integer"
- View more network posts →