I started my IT career in 1983 after graduating college and have been with the same insurance company ever since. Initially, I did mainframe development (IBM Assembler, COBOL, CICS, JCL, VSAM). I've done web development (ASP.net, VB.net, C#.net). I also taught programming (IBM Assembler, COBOL and C) at a local technical college for 9 years (at night) between the mid-80s and mid-90's. In 1992, I transitioned into DBA work for DB2 and moved into DBA work for SQL Server in 2006. I'm hoping to ride my current 'wave' into retirement, which is currently planned for summer 2021 :)
Here's my favorite quote:
"I want to remind you that success in life is based on hard slogging. There will be periods when discouragement is great and upsetting, and the antidote for this is calmness and fortitude and a modest yet firm belief in your competence. Be sure that your priorities are in order so that you can proceed in a logical manner, and be ever mindful that nothing will take the place of persistence."
(Publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in a letter to his son.)
South Carolina, United States
Member for 5 years, 11 months
3 profile views
Last seen Oct 21 '19 at 13:58
Top network posts
- 36 Is there an elegant way to send query results directly to a physical printer?
- 30 Does a non-clustered index make any guarantees about row order?
- 30 How to find if SQL server backup is encrypted with TDE without restoring the backup
- 14 Transfer of large database from 1 server to another
- 12 Is It Possible to Run Out of Log Sequence Numbers?
- 12 Daylight Saving time
- 11 "If not exists" using OBJECT_ID() doesn't work for views and triggers. why?
- View more network posts →