I'm a freelance Oracle practitioner, specializing in database design and development.
I studied history at university but didn't want to stay in academia. After my finals I read "Neuromancer" by William Gibson and decided to try computing. Those were the days when a history graduate with no relevant experience could get a job in IT. Luckily, I had an aptitude. At school, one teacher had repeatedly told my class that history was a training in the gathering, analysis and presentation of data; we scoffed but he was right. Also I enjoyed programming COBOL. It was like being paid to solve crossword puzzles all day.
Since 1992 I have worked on Oracle database systems, both OLTP and DWH. Over that time I have worked as a data modeller, designer, developer and DBA. I have also undertaken assignments as a business analyst and a technical architect. If pushed, I would have to say I'm happiest writing PL/SQL programs. I am least happy when attempting to marry a normalised data model to the needs of an ORM tool.
I was made an Oracle ACE in 2003, and transitioned to Ace Alumni status in 2019. In 2003 I won the Oracle Magazine OTN Contributor of the Year award.
- Stack Overflow 138.7k 138.7k 1919 gold badges156156 silver badges269269 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 1.1k 1.1k 77 silver badges1515 bronze badges
- Database Administrators 646 646 33 silver badges88 bronze badges
- Server Fault 361 361 11 silver badge55 bronze badges
- Area 51 151 151 33 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 303 Oracle find a constraint
- 298 SELECT INTO using Oracle
- 150 How to declare variable and use it in the same Oracle SQL script?
- 135 ORA-00904: invalid identifier
- 90 Oracle : select maximum value from different columns of the same row
- 89 Oracle date "Between" Query
- 58 ORA-00918: column ambiguously defined in SELECT *
- View more network posts →