Every few weeks another sharp poster asks:
- Why are you asking DBAs about source control?
- Why are you asking DBAs about performance?
- Why are you asking DBAs about database design or data warehousing?
- Why are you asking DBAs about database development? (see comments; here's another; and another)
As a regular DBA.SE patron your response might be: "Because all of those topics are welcome on this site, both by our FAQ and by our users!"
Well you know what?
No-one gives a [REDACTED] about our FAQ or our posts, because the second they read our name they figure us all out.
The equation is pretty simple:
Database Administrators == DBAs == Cranky Old Dudes who do Backups and Logs and [REDACTED].
I don't care where this perception comes from (e.g. one, two). The point is that it's widespread enough to limit the scope of this site. (And you can read more complaints about the name when it was first changed from "Databases" to "Database Administrators" in the comments on this question and the comments on this answer.) Many of us have raised the issue of renaming the site over, and over again, and I have lamented our name several times.
To cut this rant short:
As a community we welcome and aim to be the best place to answer questions about:
- advanced database design and development
- data warehousing and business intelligence
- NoSQL technologies
- database administration (for traditional RDMSs and NoSQL/NewSQL technologies as well)
"DBA" means something very specific to a lot of people. Unfortunately, that something does not include most of the items above.
- Our name is at odds with this aforementioned aim. It limits our perceived scope (never mind what's actually in our FAQ!) and creates resistance from others unhappy to see questions migrated here, others who would make great additions to our community.
- Therefore we need to make it a top priority to change our name to something that captures the scope of our FAQ and attracts the people and posts we want here. Site banner, community vote, name change by diktat... I don't know how best to make this happen, but this. needs. to happen. ASAP.